Nepal's tourist attractions are not only for the Himalayas and its diverse culture, but also for preserved wildlife jungle safari. About 18 percent of its land protected area - either known as national parks or wildlife reserves. North part of Nepal, great Himalaya then the southern lowland known as "Terai" is covered with dense tropical jungles home for diverse wildlife and exotic birds. You will find some of the exciting safari destinations in the world. Among the 14 national parks and wildlife reserves in Nepal, the Chitwan National Park (967sq-km), Bardiya National Park (968sq-km) and Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve (175sq-km) are the most popular safari destinations. These Parks and Reserves are homes to many rare wild animals including the Royal Bengal Tiger, endangered one-horned rhino, crocodile, four-horned antelope, striped hyena, the gigantic dolphin, and more than 550 different species of colorful birds. Jungle safari activities include deep jungle on elephant back to view the wildlife, ride canoe on the Park Rivers to see Crocodile and water birds, nature walk, bird watching, native village tour and cultural show. All these parks are easily accessible by road and regular flights. Some national park trip can be done with rafting adventure on the way.
Recommended Safari Trips
- Chitwan National Park 160-km south of Kathmandu, 5-hours drive or 25 minutes flight, 2 nights - 3 days, US$ 85-100 in Sauraha (standard room package with out Air condition room) & U.S.$ 100-150 (Air condition room )Per Person full package.
- Bardiya National Park 570-km west of Kathmandu, 12-hours drive or 1 hour by flight ,3 nights - 4 days - US$ 250 - 400 Per Person full package.
- Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve(bird watching special), 500-km east of Kathmandu, 10-hours drive or 50 minutes flight , 3 nights - 4 days - US$ 250 - 450 Per Person full package
The Costs are depending on location and category of accommodation, and means of transportation (by surface or Flight) and group sizes.
The Cost Includes
- Twin sharing accommodation at a safari resort / hotel with full meals.
- Transportation, park entry ticket, all guided safari activities.
- Cultural show and other trip related assistance.