Once Tibet was forbidden land it but now it is open for the foreign tourist. Religion is extremely important to the Tibetans and has a strong influence over all aspects of their lives. Tibet is called "roof of the World " Bön is the ancient religion of Tibet, but has been almost eclipsed by Tibetan Buddhism, a distinctive form of Mahayana and Vajrayana, which was introduced into Tibet from the Sanskrit Buddhist tradition of northern India. Tibetan Buddhism has four main traditions:
- Gelug(pa), Way of Virtue, also known casually as Yellow Hat
- Kagyu(pa), Oral Lineage. This is an oral tradition which is very much concerned with the experiential dimension of meditation. Its most famous exponent was Milarepa, an 11th century mystic.
- Nyingma(pa), The Ancient Ones. This is the oldest, the original order founded by Padmasambhava.
- Sakya(pa), Grey Earth, headed by the Sakya Trizin, This school emphasizes scholarship.
Most visited tours
- 7 night 8 days drive in fly out - sight seeing in Lhasa, Shigatse and Gyantse.
- 13 night 14 days drive in and drive out - Pilgrimage tour to Mt. Kailash and Mansarowar .
- 4 night 5 days fly in and fly out - Sight seeing in Lhasa