The Upper Mustang trek is an exotic tour to unspoil and ancient Tibetan villages, rare medieval Buddhist arts, the exotic culture and the unique beauty of the Himalayan desert. The medieval settlement of Upper Mustang and its capital Lo Manthang lie in the remote Himalayan desert behind the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountains .Geographically the land is an extension of the Tibetan plateau, characterized by windy and arid valleys, eroded canyons and unique stratified rock formations .The people in Upper Mustang are of Tibetan origin, migrated from Tibet centuries ago, and belong to Bhotias and Loba communities. They practice Sakyapa school of Tibetan Buddhism.The only place to see Tibetan culture in completely undisturbed state.The houses and monasteries in here have medieval look and unique local architecture. Mostly they are built with stone and sun baked mud bricks.Upper Mustang is a land covering about 2600 sq km in area and is a home 6000 people.Festivals are religious in nature, the Tiji festival being the biggest .The capital called Lo Manthang , a walled complex with the houses of local nobilities and monasteries will be one of the main attraction of the trek.Recently in 2007, an international team of explorers have discovered invaluable objects of cultural and historical importance in Upper Mustang caves.In high caves requiring technical climbing they have discovered beautiful Buddhist murals, and historical objects, dating back to , according to them around 800years ago. A rare visit to a place perfectly untouched by modernity, preserving its ancient Buddhist culture , traditions and invaluable art objects in high Himalayan desert.
Tiji Festival- Mustang
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu airport (1350m.) , pick up then transfer to Hotel.
Day 2: Full day Sight seeing around Kathmandu Valley.
Day 3: Drive or flight to Pokhara (915m.) then transfer to Hotel
Day 4: Flight to Jomsom the trek to Kagbeni (2800m) 2-3hrs
Entry day to Restricted area
Day 5: Trek to Tsaile(2875m.) 5-6hrs, gradual up.
Day 6: Trek to Geling(35200m.) 5-6hrs, Steep trail & desert land with beautiful views.
Day 7: Trek to Tsarang(3580m.),5-6hrs, Pleasant trail,cross the pass at 3600m & gentle down
Day 8: Trek to Lo_Manthang (3780m.), Gradual ups & downs.
Day 9: Rest day , Exploration surrounding the Lo Mangthang.
Day 10: Festival day , enjoy with Local people (Tiji Festival)
Day 11: Festival day , different experience
Day 12: Festival day , full knowledge of the festival
Day13: Trek to Ghami (3460m.),5hrs, Gradual ups & down ;visit Ghar Gompa(oldest Gompa in Nepal).
Day14: Trek to Samar (3450m.), 5-6hrs , Gradual up.
Day 15: Trek to Kagbeni (2800m.) 4-5hrs, Gradual down.
Exit from Restricted area
Day13: Trek to Marpha (2800m.), 5-6hrs Gradual down
Day14: Drive to Tatopani- Hot spring (1190m.),4.5hrs, Flat & Gradual down
Day15: Trek to Ghorepani (2875m.) 6-7 hrs.,Steep up.
Day16: Early morning Poon Hil then trek down to Nayapul & drive to Pokhara
Day17: Pokhara (850m.) Rest, Sight seeing & extra activities.
Day18: Drive or flight to Kathmandu., farewell dinner in Nepali restaurant.
23th: Fly back to own destination or extra activities.
Trekking in Annapurna region (controlled zone)
Group size of the Trek
Minimum 2 person
Maximum 15 person
Trek features :
- Best chance to know the Buddhist traditional culture & practices.
- pectacular mountain views of Annapuran ranges
- Oldest monasteries and caves
- Tibetan influence Buddhist culture
- Bhote & Thakali cultural & practices.
Grade : Medium to Hard
Accommodation : Tea House/ Tented camp
Clothing and Equipment Check List
- Pair of T-shirts and half pants
- Fleece jacket and warm Trousers
- Raincoats & water proof pants
- Down jacket
- Thermal underwear
- Windproof jacket
- Fleece/wool warm hat
- Baseball hat or sun hat
- Snow & sun glasses
- Fleece gloves
- Socks - 3/4 pairs
- Socks- woolen
- Trekking shoes
- Light sport shoes
- Small rucksack for day pack
- Water bottle (metal )
- Kit Bag medium size
- Trekking poles (optional)
in you need more information please write us
Price Include :
- Pick & Drop to Airport / Hotel in Kathmandu & required places
- Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing with Tour guide.
- Food (Breakfast , lunch & dinner with tea -coffee ) in Trekking guest houses .
- Accommodation in trekking area guest houses twin sharing bases on the trek .
- English speaking Government licenses holder trekking guide & Supporters
- Staff food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine are included in trekking.
- Primary First Aid Kits (For the first aid treatment purpose such as bandage , some medicine......)
- Trekking permits & TIMS for Conservation area /Restricted area & all the necessary official documents for trek.
- Transport ; trek start to ending point by private car/van/ Bus.
Price Exclude :
- Nepal entry visa fee and necessary documets
- Flight fare domestic and international .
- Food in Kathmandu or other cities .
- Airport Tax in Domestic & International Airpot & other taxes.
- Personal insurance , equipment ,medical and travel insurance during the trek
- Entrance fees for sightseeing/Monument /donation and some personal expenses.
- Helicopter rescue charge in case of Emergency .
- Staff tips and other personal expenses
- Expenses burden due to Natural disaster ; such as bad weather , land slide
Testimonials not available
Full package :
- 2600 U.S. $ per person (Tent based trek)
- 2200 U.S. $ per person (home stay with local people)
Trekking only :
- 2000 U.S. $ per person (Tent based trek)
- 1700 U.S. $ per person (Home stay with local people)