Tribhuvan International Airport - Kathmandu, is a only one airport connected to Nepal with outside world. Major international airlines such as Thai Airways, Qatar Airways, Gulf Air, Indian Airlines, Jet Airways, Air China, Singapore Silk Air and Nepal Airlines fly from Kathmandu linking the major international cities; Bangkok, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Bombay, Lhasa, Chengdu, Beijing, Shanghai, Osaka, Tokyo, Doha-Qatar, Bahrain, Dubai, Frankfurt, Paris, London, Amsterdam and many other cities in Europe and USA.
Tourists/visitors can also get into Nepal by overland. Some of the main entry points/borders are:
- Belhiya (Bhairahawa) / Sunauli
- Jogbani (Biratnagar)
- Mahendra Nagar in Nepal-India border
- and Kodari Friendship Bridge in Nepal-China (Tibet) border.
VISA AND TRAVEL DOCUMENT
All visitors except the Indian nationals must hold a passport and a valid visa. The visas can be obtained at the Nepalese Diplomatic Missions and Consulate abroad. Tourist visas can also be obtained upon arrival at Kathmandu airport immigration and other entry points/borders as well. The visa will be extended at the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu & Pokhara office. The Department also issues multi-entry visa for the visitors.
Foreigner who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport or any travel document equivalent to passport issued by the government. for visiting a foreign country prior to apply for visa.
a) Entry: No foreigner is entitled to enter into and stay in Nepal without valid visa. Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or immigration offices located on entry points in Nepal.
b) Chinese citizen are requested to apply in Nepalese Embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions as there is no provision of on arrival visa for them.
c) Visa Fee:
1. Fee required to obtain Tourist Visa from Nepalese diplomatic agencies and entry points:
- US $ 25 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 15 days.
- US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 30 days.
- US $ 100 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 100 days.
- Regardless of the provision stated in 1(a) and 1(b), tourists with passport from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations aren't required to pay visa fee for 30 days.
2. Fee to be levied for renewal or regularization of tourist visa
- Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 2 per day to renew the validity of tourist visa.
- If multiple entry facility is required to be valid for the renewed period, additional US $ 20 along with fees prescribed in 2 (a) has to be paid.
- Foreigner who have stayed here without renewing visa, need to pay Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 3 per day along with the reqired extension fee.
- Foreigners, who have already overstayed for more than 150 days without renewing tourist visa shall be levied the fees referred in clause 2(c) and a penalty of Rs 50,000 as per the Immigration Act.
- Regardless of provision stated in 2(a), 15 days is counted as minimum extension period and visa fee is charged accordingly. For extension period more than 15 days, visa fee is charged as per the provision of 2(a).
- The tourist visa shall be granted for a period in maximum of 150 days in a visa year (Visa years means January to December).
- A tourist who has departed before the expiry of the period specified in the visa issued in a visa year shall not be allowed to use the visa by adding the remaining period to another visa year.
- However, foreigner visitors, who have entered the country towards the end of a visa year, can use the remainder of his visa period in another visa year.
Trekkers planning to travel to controlled areas in Nepal opened for group trekking need to get Trekking Permit issued by the Department of Immigration under the Home Ministry. The government has opened following previously restricted trekking areas for group trekkers. Trekking permits will not be issued to individual trekkers in those trekking areas. The areas and required fees are as follows: